Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chicago Half Marathon - Bob's experience

Bob: time 1h 40'10" - average pace = 7:38 min/ mile. Overall place 538 out of over 10,000 finishers. On this day, given the temperature, I don't think I could have run faster. Wanted to break 1h 40', but fell a bit short.

From the Garmin 305 split times were as follows:

mile 1: 8:06
mile 2: 7:46
mile 3: 7:35
mile 4: 7:30
mile 5: 7:36
mile 6: 7:30
mile 7: 7:30
mile 8: 7:30
mile 9: 7:31
mile 10: 7:27
mile 11: 7:25
mile 12: 7:34
mile 13: 7:25
mile .24 (GPS error?) 1:36 (6:47 pace)

First half split was 51:00
Second half split was 49:10

Running negative splits felt great. The flat course made it easy to be consistent. They say the race begins at 10 miles - so true: I stuck to my strategy early on, but could not pick up the pace enough in the final miles to get under 1h40'. Chiruning focus really helped - mostly focused cadence, posture, and lean. When I was tired towards the end, I focused on relaxing legs and arms and leaning.

Looking at my splits, mile 12 being 10 seconds slower is an indication that I was feeling a bit tired - and I was pushing myself at that point to maintian pace. Don't get me wrong, for my first 1/2 marathon I am quite happy with my time. While both Marcy and myself have had harder days ski touring, this was pretty tough. Cant wait to start training for the next one.

No comments: